Friday, July 22, 2011

Partially confused ramblings on a Friday afternoon...and the song of the day...

I'm not a music expert. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of albums, bands and singles.  I'm not really an asset to have on your team during a pub quiz. I know people like that and I've met plenty of people like that. They could tell you about West German vinyl pressings of Beatles albums, and which Stones pressings have the superior sound quality. They can name songs with a word or two from the most obscure song lyrics.
       I struggle to remember song lyrics. I don't know much about obscure vinyl pressings. I can't discuss the structure of music, of songs, in any kind of technical terminology, and I don't really play any instruments. I was gonna say I'm not an aficionado but then I looked up the definition of the word in the dictionary. Aficionado: A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject or pastime.
      So maybe you could say I was an aficionado. Though I'd prefer you didn't. Labels make me cringe. What kind of an asshole actually gives himself a label like that anyway?
      Problem is everything I know is based on what I like. And there's not really any rhyme or reason to what I like. I like what sounds good to me. It's all very personal, and largely related to my own individual experiences. For instance right now I'm seriously digging Mitch Ryder and Holly Golightly. Why? I don't know, I stumbled upon them again and their music matches my mood.
      I do have the enthusiasm nailed though. I know what I like and I'm enthusiastic about what I like. I guess that's the short and sweet of it. If I'm sat with you and a really great song comes on, I'm really good at obnoxiously telling you how great the song is. In simple blanket terms. If you asked me why the song is so good? I'd say something like what do you mean? Listen to that fucking guitar! Not terribly insightful, I know. An expert would explain something about what key the guitarist is playing in. Or point out a clever chord change or something along those lines.
      All I'm good at is pointing out music that interests me, and relating what it means to me. In emotional terms not technical terms. I love Pink Floyd's album Meddle because of how it feels, and how it makes me feel.
     I don't know, I'm probably being stupidly, embarrassingly obvious here. What can I say, I sat down needing to write something on here and this is what came out.
     Music affects and excites me on a primitive level. All genres, all eras. As long as there's truth in it.
     Take Joel Plaskett for instance. I'm listening to him right now. His album La Di Da. The real strength in Joel's music, of which there are many, is his voice. His voice is genuine. True.
   
      Anyway, here's my song of the day for this uncertain Friday afternoon...enjoy...

   
   

No comments: