Thursday, July 28, 2011

Another week in music...rhythm and noise...

No matter how often it happens it's always a tiny bit unnerving when your downstairs in the kitchen and the bedroom door slams shut upstairs. You know it's just a draft but that never stops it from feeling a tad strange. Especially when it's raining outside, your neighbour is screaming at her children through the walls, your wired on too much coffee, and frustrated by the state of things.
       It's been another week full of all kinds of news. As most weeks are. Obviously the world news has been considerably bleaker this week. The tragic events in Norway were devastating as they unfolded on television over the weekend. I don't think anyone expected it to turn out as horrifying as it did when they woke up Saturday morning.
       We went to see an Amy Winehouse tribute act Friday night and woke up Saturday to find out the real singer had died. The same media that spent the last four or five years ridiculing her and systematically tearing her name to pieces changed their tone instantly to gut wrenching sincerity and heartbreak at the tragic loss of a truly special talent. Individual people have been guilty of this too. People who viciously attacked her character for years now express their sadness at such a tragic loss of talent at such a young age. It is indeed a sad story. Back In Black was and is a fantastic record and the work of a uniquely and undeniably talented artist. I just found the hypocrisy in certain responses to the story a bit hard to swallow.
       Fortunately it's been a great week for friends and family. Celebrating new arrivals, beginning brand new journeys around the globe, making a long overdue return home. Lots of positive events happening to a lot of great people that mean everything to me. It warms my heart to hear it.
       For myself there are a few possible creative opportunities coming down the pipeline. Nothing monumental but interesting and a little exciting all the same.
      Oh and of course in the midst of all these events occurring around the globe, both tragic and wonderful, I have been listening to a lot of music. All styles and genres. Songs to match any mood. Music that forms the never ending soundtrack to my life in all it's mundane glory.
       As usual over the last week or so a handful of songs stood out. Well, a handful and a bit really. Seven, once again being the lucky number.
   
        We start once again at the beginning. I'd discovered this record while working at the illustrious Refried Beats on Yonge Street in beautiful downtown Toronto. But had sort of forgotten about it recently. Then the other day this song Science Killer came on my headphones like this sludgy rhythmic nightmare, filled my head up with euphoria and pummelled my brain into mush. I just kept turning the volume up and smiling like an asshole. The band responsible for this piece of magnificence are called The Black Angels. A psych rock band from Austin, Texas. The song can be found on their fantastic album Directions to see a Ghost.

        It's no secret I'm a huge fan of the blues. A big moment in my musical education was being introduced to the Chess label and it's unequalled stable of artists. The other day this beautiful song by Jimmy Witherspoon called Ain't Nobody's Business really stuck in my head. A mellow number about a guy contemplating breakfast and shooting his woman. Witherspoons voice is effortless and haunting. The subtle bass and piano carrying you along as his story unfolds.

       Sticking with the blues theme but adding a serious goddamn dose of psychedelia is the one and only Muddy Waters. The song is Tom Cat from his wonderfully titled 1968 album Electric Mud. A Hendrix-esque mix of blues, funk, and psychedelia, that must have ruffled the feathers of many a blues purist when it was released. Nonetheless the album was a massive influence on psychedelic bands of that time. The song is a beast that showcases the raw attitude present in all of Muddy Waters music. For me not many artists come close to the power of Muddy's music. Muddy was a baaaaad man and everyone needs to know it.

       I listen to Sonic Youth every week. My appetite never wanes. The band are true music pioneers. I got into their music fairly late when I found a cassette copy of their 1994 album Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star. Controversially the album is probably still my favourite Sonic Youth record, not necessarily because it's their best or most important, but I guess because of how it made me feel when I first listened to it. I felt like I'd just discovered alternative music. I didn't know a band could sound like that. I fell in love with them instantly. The intensity in the combination of Kim Deals vocals and Thurston Moore's guitar playing really affected me. You know when people say stuff like who needs drugs when you have music? Well that's how Sonic Youth made me feel. that's how they still make me feel. The song that came on my headphones this week wasn't from Jet Set trash though. We have to go all the way back to 1983 for this song, and the bands first studio album Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr Idols. That early Sonic Youth sound is a world away from Jet Set. The song I'm talking about in particular is Kill Yr Idols. A ferocious two minutes of defiance and disgust. The recording is minimalist, raw and fucking perfect. But the video link I posted the song to on here isn't from the album. It's from a live show from 1985. Recorded in a small club in Brighton, England it captures the band in all their beauty. Oh to have been in that crowd.

       Funny enough the next song that caught my attention this week was a cover of a Sonic Youth song by another of the truly great rock bands of the last 25 years, Seattle's mighty Mudhoney. The song is Halloween and was featured on a split single Sonic Youth and Mudhoney released together in 1988. Mudhoney covered Halloween and Sonic Youth covered Touch me I'm Sick. The song is also featured on the deluxe edition of their seminal album Superfuzz Bigmuff.  There are few sounds more grin inducing than the production on Mudhoneys early recordings, and Halloween is no exception, featuring one of my favourite guitar riffs ever. It's a serious undertaking covering a Sonic Youth song, but I think somehow Mudhoney improved on it. The track is drenched in all that wonderful Mudhoney defiance and anger and sounds magnificent.

       We take a sharp turn away from alternative rock for the penultimate song of this past week and head to New York circa 1994 for a slice of hip hop bliss. I've been fairly obsessed with Gang Starr for a few years now. Dazzled by Guru's smooth rumbling vocals and Premier's superb understated jazz breaks and samples. This week I was passing through a park when Mostly Tha Voice came on from Gang Starr's fantastic fourth album Hard To Earn. Guru tells wannabe rappers how it is over another sweet Premier beat. Few hip hop duos made it sound as easy as Gang Starr, and the hip hop world lost a true legend when Guru passed away last year. Gang Starr are one of my main go to groups when I want to chill.

       Finally fans of mid 90's hip hop will probably recognize the opening few seconds of this last song. A driving funk track from 1967 called The Sad Chicken, recorded by Leroy & the Drivers. A serious song for walking and a mean way to start a night. I have lot 60's/70's funk and soul compilations on my itunes so periodically and randomly during my day I'll get slapped hard with a solid piece of funk like this.

   


 

No comments: