Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A live music review: In which I convey to you my personal experience of the Explosions In The Sky show at the Edinburgh Picture House.

It's very rare I have a live music experience where I can feel the music like a physical thing. Like I could reach out my hand and touch it. A soft wall in front of me. Like warm water.

A packed house of concert goers stood still like statues. Clapping politely after each epic song. I found the crowd reaction strange, at first. I couldn't understand how they were controlling their emotions so well. I thought then that it must be awe that froze them in place. Or maybe this was how the post rock crowd carried themselves. The eternally unimpressed. The permanently subdued.

Either way, I felt like I should be stood in front of this music, this monstrous elegant angelic beast with my hands up in the air the whole time. As I imagine one would if they were having the blood washed off their body with a power hose.

At times I thought I might actually cry. That by the end of the show I would be weeping and laughing like a lunatic. And I might have ended up that way if it weren't for my self awareness. Several times my eyes welled up, but I can't cry when I realize I'm about to cry. If you know what I mean? Still, it's a beautiful feeling when music effects you in such a primitive way. Deep down in your bones.

Stood in this dark venue having wave after glorious wave wash over me. Through me. This living breathing thing. Needless to say I spent much of the show with my eyes closed, smiling like an imbecile.

Explosions In The Sky make unapologetically life affirming music. Beautiful music. Beautiful life affirming music isn't a phrase I often use to describe music made by bands that I like. But Explosions In The Sky are undeniable. The Texas born four piece create sprawling expansive instrumental soundscapes that reflect the endless skies and vast wilderness of their home state. Stood on stage, five men casually dressed in jeans and t shirts. Without the aid of an elaborate stage show. Without sophisticated light displays or smoke machines, they offer a transcendent live music experience.

They are a hard band to describe without the use of cliches. Their music is lovely, sad, happy, soft, loud and aggressive. It reflects the experiences and realities of life. And leaves you feeling wonderful, happy to have been a participant and happy to be alive.

Explosions In The Sky are irrefutable proof of the transcendental possibilities of music.

No comments: