Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Train rides and malt loaf

I rode the train up to Glasgow today. A city whose rough around the edge's beauty matches my own. I listened to a lot of Buck 65 records. Gametight. Language Arts Pt 1.Vertex. Dirtbike Part 1. Dirtbike Part 1 really inspired me. Buck made three Dirtbikes. Each roughly an hour long. Each an uncut mix. No individual tracks. He put it on the internet for free. And each is the sound of a man simply having fun. Getting ideas down, trying shit and really just making straight forward hip hop. It sounds a lot like his older releases. I love it because its just unrestricted,undiluted creativity. No barriers. Just a guy making music in his house for his own amusement. Its funny that its also some of his best work.
     I love it when you get the chance to appreciate a piece of art that is straight from the mind of the artist. As pure as possible. Like reading On The Road for the first time. Or reading pretty much everything William Burroughs wrote. One song on Dirtbike part 1 is about a drunken degenerate type guy walking past a store on his way back from the bar. He ends up having weird sex with a mannequin and wakes up the next morning on the sidewalk in a compromising position. And the beat running through the whole song is ridiculous. Incredible. Not much music being made today satisfies quite the same as Buck 65's music. But I'll stop there cause anyone who knows me is already sick of me heaping praise on the man.
     On the train I soaked up a lot of the scenery. Beautiful Scottish countryside. I love it when your on a train going through the countryside, and you can't see a road or a house or anything anywhere in your field of vision, nowhere on the entire visible landscape, and then one lone farm appears in the middle of it. Seemingly as isolated as you can get, minus the train tracks of course. I always think 'I'd love to live there now.' Except when I was passing through Serbia a few years ago, then I thought that's interesting and beautiful in its own unique way but I'm content on this train. This sinister train.
     I saw a guide dog on the train and another guide dog while I was waiting for my connecting train. One was a black labrador, the other was a golden retriever. Both were gorgeous. I think when I see guide dogs though, that I might stare too much. I think it might weird some people out. Onlookers or other passengers. Mostly,friends travelling with the blind person who owns the dog. They always give me a second or third glance, like they think I might make some attempt to steal the dog. Which is ludicrous. Sure, I might contemplate that in my head sometimes but I'd never act on it. I'm not a maniac.
     I've recently gained an unhealthy obsession with malt loaf. I know malt loaf is healthy for you but surely not in the quantities I've been consuming?
    I also watched The Social Network last night. Finally. I thought it was great. Like every critic in the world said, it is fantastically written. Practically a verbal assault. The acting was good too. And of course David Finchers directing. He has really come into his own since Zodiac. I loved The Game, and Seven and Fightclub, but with Zodiac he really seemed to hit a balance of great storytelling, virtuoso camera work and honesty. I have to say though the part of the film that stood out the most for me was Trent Reznors score for the film. It was perfect. Sinister, understated and beautiful.
    I do have to wonder though, why Michael Cera has recently taken so much criticism for supposedly playing the same character; lovable geek. While Jesse Eisenberg has, so far, managed to evade similar criticism. Even though he has played virtually the same character in every film I've seen him in. Squid and the Whale, Adventureland, Zombieland, The Social Network. Upper class, preppy,smart,sarcastic,fast talking,emotionally damaged geeks. Albeit with varying degrees of severity. Some are simply meaner than others, ie. The Social Network. Don' get me wrong, I have enjoyed his films and he does have a certain charm, a charm that is purposefully strained almost to breaking point in The Social Network,and to great effect. I just don't understand how Cera is criticised, and Eisenberg isn't. Even though Jesse Eisenberg is often referred,probably unflattering for both actors, as the serious mans Michael Cera.
      I guess I'm curious more so with why Cera is criticised, than why Eisenberg isn't. I enjoy the films of both actors. Though, again, anyone who knows me is aware of my love of all things Michael Cera. Any doubters, really should watch Youth in Revolt. A brutally under appreciated (especially in North America) gem of a film.
      Anyway, I had a wisdom tooth removed Friday morning and it hurts like holy hell today so I'm going to go try and relax.
    I guess today's tips would be: try and find Buck 65's Dirtbike Parts 1,2 and 3 online. They're out there somewhere for free, and watch Youth in Revolt. Oh, and if you were stupid like me and somehow made it to the age of 31 and a half without trying malt loaf, for frigs sake, go buy some.
   

No comments: