Friday, January 26, 2007

So this is what redundancy feels like. Hmmm.

So thats that, yesterday at 10:15am my shop and all the other shops in the chain were closed forever. I'm an unemployed bum again. I've never been made redundant before. I stood there watching my boss looking visibly upset,trying desperately to feel something...anything. But I couldn't. I just thought oh well, thats that and got to the pub for 10:30am and drank guinness all day with my former music zone co-workers.
So I guess its back to bartending. Oh and if everything works out just right maybe I can be back working in the soap factory in a few days. I can only cross my fingers and hope. It is pretty glamourous in there. I joke but really I'll take anything right now that pays money. Whatever crap job it is will be worth it when I'm riding the train through Europe.
Anyway, I really think anyone who has not yet done so, should run straight out to their nearest record shop(no longer MusicZone) and purchase Joanna Newsom's new record Ys. Trust me it'll be worth it. There's only five songs, each one roughly 8-15 minutes long and she plays the harp and sings in a small high voice kind of like I imagine a pixie might, but goddamn she is one magical girl. She writes lyrics, well stories really that other songwriters can only dream about. She takes you away to another strange captivating world. It is something you have to sit down and listen to though. It's also funnily enough the most complained about record ever played in our shop. A typical exchange: Do you guys get to choose what gets played here? Yes. And you choose this? This is crap. Actually I think its the best record of the year. Its horrible. That'll be £14.97.
Or: Do you guys choose the music thats played here? yes we do. And you choose this? Yes. I'm glad I don't work here.(In my head: yeah, me too.)Out loud: thats £9.97.
The new Amy Winehouse is fantastic too. If you close your eyes and listen to her sing you instantly think 1960's Motown. Her voice really is a force to be reckoned with.
Oh well, I can no longer think of myself as a John Cusack type record shop geek, although to be fair the shop I worked in was closer to Walmart than a proper record shop, now I'll just have to settle for geek. A geek who now tends bar and works in a horrible soap factory that destroys his spirit day by horrible day. Until I fly off to Europe and whole new world of adventure.
Hope your all well!
p.s Ryans greeting card company is rolling full steam ahead! He now has over 700 corby cards in circulation! How friggin great is that?!!! He's kickin ass and takin names. God bless him. He is my hero.

Oh and the last record ever played in my shop was TV on the Radio-Return to Cookie Mountain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I you felt something for you bosss.. Would you really be a 'heartless tall drink of water. Restless and wandering.'? Looks like it's only a matter of time before those local record shops in Galway and the West of Ireland close their doors forever.. HMV cometh.