Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy halloween!!!

Hey guys,
So yeah apparently the english celebrate everything in the pub. I just finished a shift tonight,they had a childrens halloween party...thats right,in the pub. Dozens of children dressed up as witches and ghosts and undead brides and spiderman and skelotons and even more parents standing around watching from the bar,downing pints of stella and carlsberg and sucking on their cigarettes. Such a beautiful moment. They were talking about finally banning smoking in pubs here in the uk but Tony Blair,with his backbone made of jelly,backed down in fear of the backlash he might have received from the many smokers here. Instead he has given all pubs a choice,they can choose to serve food and ban smoking or cut out food and allow smoking. So now a pub that ordinarily would have banned smoking will have to reconsider if the pub down the street allows smoking. Tony Blair is such a tool. If your going to ban smoking as he definately should then it has to be a universal ban with no exceptions. Pub owners claim they lose customers. As the english say,thats a load of bollocks. I can't see any of the drunks I serve turning their backs on their local pub anytime soon,smoking or no smoking.
Anyway, it was an interesting way to celebrate halloween to say the least. It was cool being a witness to a proper english celebration. Right in the heart of small town Britain.
Then afterwards me and Nic went to see Saw 2. It was good, warped but good.
Oh and I came home friday night from my glamourous job at the soap factory,checked the mail then opened an envelope addressed to me and read a letter that told me that day had been my last day at the soap factory,that they no longer required my services. Nice. Nothing like getting a little advanced notice. The good news is I finally have a little time to relax. Cause honestly working seven days a week frigging sucks. I'm still working at the two pubs so I still have some cash comin in. I'm looking for another fulltime job now, and in the meantime I can catch up on my reading and work on my story. I appreciated all the comments and critisms about my two little stories I wrote for you. I realize I said that if you had nothing good to say about them not to say anything at all but in retrospect any comments are better then none. So read the friggin things and tell me what you thought. Pretty please with sugar on top. And yes once again I realize I've probably just finished setting up another of steves jokes.
Speaking of Steve,I hear you guys just got some cats. Fancy pure bred ones,I asked mom what the first cats name was but she couldn't remember. Congratulations,I'd love to see some pics of them.
Oh and I also managed to catch that 8-0 beating the leafs took from the senators saturday night...hehehehehehehehe! Man alive, Ottawa slapped them around like their red headed step child.
Anyway,Englands still treatin me good, I'm workin hard, enjoyin the short days,long nights and all the drizzle and rain and wind. Looking forward to New Years eve in Edinburgh. Theres about twenty-five of us going now.Get in! You can't beat Scottish hospitality. I think it consists of a handshake, a head butt, a plate of haggis and a cold pint? Doesn't it?
I gotta jet but I'll talk to you dudes soon:)

Book of the week: In Cold Blood by truman capote.

Record of the week: Public enemy-fear of a black planet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.